Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Taylor Cleaning Inc.



Toddlers would make great sled dogs.

I figured that out this morning when Bemma and I were at the high school track testing out my Vibram Five Fingers, and exploring my project of transitioning to a barefoot running stride.

After my calves and feet persuaded me that it was time to give up my efforts for the day, I unhooked Ben and Emma from their stroller harnesses and set them free to roam the empty soccer/football field that was decorated with giant white numbers and lines from almost all colors of the rainbow. I figured they'd toddle from one giant number to the next, shuttering with excitement - like a palm tree in a hurricane - each time they spotted a familiar digit; I thought for sure Ben would follow the yellow line as if it were Dorothy's famed road, and he could even play the mayor of the Lollipop Guild; I had no doubt that Emma would be running shuttle sprints between the rainbow lines like a rookie in training camp.

I had not doubt...but once again, I was wrong. All Bemma wanted to do is push the stroller.

The stroller seemed to call to them, like a Ferrari on a race track, and in almost perfect unison they began mushing that stroller around the field with determination "Rudy" would envy. Heads down and legs churning, their frenetic energy was enough to turn a Prius into the previously mentioned Ferrari, and with subtle adjustments from Dad (they were after all blind, their sight completely impaired by the stroller) they covered the field in lines reminiscent of Picasso.

I jogged beside them, amazed that they greeted such a mundane task with enthusiasm, and it got me thinking. I should let Bemma do all my chores, errands, and menial tasks. All I'd have to do is convince them it's their privilege. I honestly can't believe I haven't realized this before.

Bemma already beg and plead to cook, unload the dishwasher, fold the laundry, sweep, mop, and shop for groceries, and I think I should start letting them. I could provide a little adjustment here and there to keep them on course, and before you know it our house would be a like a 1905 industrial factory.

Who knows? Before long I could have them churning through other people's laundry and dishes. I could start a mobile cleaning service and turn their energy for a profit, and before you get too caught up in things like morality and legality, don't worry. I'll make sure they are stocked in juice boxes, choo choos and Barney DVDs. After all, they are my children and I would never, ever, take advantage of them.

The sad irony of my little plan is that I'd still have to change their diapers, since they've yet to show any enthusiasm for the mundane task of evacuating their bowels and bladders into a toilet. But for now I'll have to settle for Taylor Cleaning Inc. Just don't tell the people who started those silly child labor laws. They obviously never experienced the raw power of a toddler in action.

------------------------------------------------------

I inserted the marathon picture for a reference point of the stroller. The other pictures are just darn cute one of them is even a little dated...in case you couldn't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment