Thursday, July 15, 2010

Expressions of Gratitude





Toddlers have a funny way of showing gratitude. The last 18 minutes before nap were filled with pleading cries accentuated by rolling tears and contorted bodies. An outside observer would've thought I'd put them through a round of Jack Bauer style interrogation and was threatening another. In truth, we'd had a fun and sun filled extravaganza; as a thank you they almost barfed on their new 'Cars' table because they were crying so hard. I didn't take it personally, though. I just scooped them up, changed their diapers, gave them one last sip of water and carted them up to bed. Oddly enough, they passed right out. I guess "I'm exhausted," and "Thank you," sound the same in toddlerese.

We started the day at a great park in downtown Vancouver, jumping all over the playground followed by playing in the fountains. I can't verify if the early bird gets the worm, but the early parent certainly gets the playground and fountains to himself. We were there from 8-10am--with a brief pit stop for a cookie--and saw a handful of kids. As of right now (1:00pm) I guarantee that place looks like an army of ants on a Popsicle.

After the park we headed to Toys 'R' Us, which I'm pretty sure is what B & E would come up with if they were asked to describe heaven. After searching for a water table, which apparently is harder to find than Kate Gosselin's dignity, we wandered the store and found a smoking deal on a 'Cars' table and chairs and a little collapsible pool.

After eating lunch on the previously mentioned 'Cars' table I still had about 20 minutes to kill before nap time, so I decided to let them push their cars up and down the driveway, which, in hindsight, wasn't the best idea when considering their fatigue. After five minutes and a couple of spills and near catastrophes I closed the driveway hi-way and all heck broke loose. I had to pry the car out of Ben's hands and I'm pretty sure Emma threw herself under our car and began dismantling the brakes in protest. Eventually, I got them upstairs and they completed their 18 minute expression of thanks.

I wonder how they'd thank me if I ever managed to find them a water table?

2 comments:

  1. Alan, Amazing writer and Dad! It brings back so many memories of when my children were young. Do you remember Casey? Well he's 22 and Kelsey is 18. You have put a smile and warmth in my heart by reading these. I love it - keep up the great work and keep smiling! You, Nora and your family are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne, I do remember Casey and Kelsey. Based on what my mom tells me, it sounds like they're doing well. Thanks for the encouragement.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete