Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stronger


I think somebody has put toddler Miracle Gro in my kids' juice, because their physical developmental seems to have grown at an exponential rate this summer. On the outside things are about the same; they look a little older but are pretty much the same half-pint tikes they were four months ago. Yet, their physical strength and coordination, verbal skills, and sense of independence has exploded onto the scene in a way that has me scrutinizing the ingredients on their daily vitamin to make sure they're not ingesting some kind of baby steroid, which would be a disaster, because we all saw what PEDs (performance enhancing drugs) did to Barry Bonds' cranium, and I just don't think Ben's noggin could handle any kind of artificial growth enhancement.

All summer I've been noticing a slow uptick in Bemma's skills--they're running farther and faster, they're conquering new parts of the playground, Emma's putting choke holds on Ben, Ben's tackling Emma, they're jumping from higher platforms with more graceful landings, they can shoot a basketball from a few feet away, they can run and kick a soccer ball, and they can hike up to the park above our house, a trek that once seemed impossible--but this morning I took them on a 'nature walk' at Lacamas Lake and I was struck by their progression.

We haven't had many 'nature walks' this summer because of the ridiculous amount of mosquitoes that like to treat Bemma like their own personal buffet, but this past spring I took Bemma to the trail at least once a week. We watched ants, beetles, and centipedes scurry through the twigs and rocks, dodged runners, hid from the big dogs, marched with leaves and on the rare occasion we even witnessed a bunny. We'd usually make it anywhere from .5-1.0 miles round trip and the final .25 was usually the 'daddy caravan' segment of the journey when weary Bemma begged to be carried back to the car. When we began the ritual I was very pleased with how far the kids could go and was especially impressed by their running stride (they naturally have a 'barefoot stride').

It was a great time that came to a crashing halt on our first warm June day when the mosquitoes rose from the lake brush and descended upon us like an attacking horde; before we realized what was happening they were on us, and by the time we scooped Bemma up and deposited them back in the safety of our Hyundai Tucson, little red bumps were beginning to show and the torturous itch was beginning to burn. In that moment I decided the mosquitoes could have the trail for the summer and we'd find somewhere new to explore.

And that's what we did. All summer we avoided the trail, and then today, as our August 29th started off cloudy and 52 degrees--which is a travesty I won't even begin to lament--I wagered that the mosquitoes must have decreased in number and ferocity and we returned to the trail.

Bemma hit the trail running...literally. A lady was beginning her run as we were beginning our 'nature walk' and Bemma ran with her for a few yards before settling into a nice hiking rhythm. After 1.0 mile of round trip walking, hopping, running and walking-stick-gathering, I figured they'd be ready for a rest and a snack. Nope. They wanted to throw rocks into the lake like the big boy who was doing it on the trail. So we found a safe spot and they threw rocks and wood chips into the lake. Surely they were ready for a break now, right? Not quite. They wanted to go check out the Canadian Geese and then throw some more rocks into a mini-valley that ran through the grass.

At that point I coaxed them into eating a vegan oatmeal raisin cookie and drinking some water. After the quick pit stop they were throwing their water bottles into the mini-valley and then going in after them, all the while trying to avoid the thorn bush at the bottom. At that point I was more than tired and ready to go home, but I also wanted to see how much gas Bemma had left in their tank, so I directed them to the playground.

I took a seat and watched as my duo raced over the playground like the brightly colored wooden pieces kids push around the metal wires at Doctor's offices. I realized that in a little over two months my children had increased their 'playing stamina' at least three fold, probably more. This revelation filled me with wonder, thankfulness, and pride. The marathoner in me knows the joy that comes with conquering a physical obstacle that had previously seemed unattainable. As Bemma roamed, I recognized that same joy in their playful mutterings, peaceful smiles and confident movements. Where once there were babies who babbled and toddlers who toppled, there are now children, little people pushing the limits of their development each and every day, and I feel honored to facilitate and observe.

I'm hoping to do a 50k trail run in 2011. If Ben and Emma keep developing on this curve they might not only be joining me, they could be my pacers...but only if there's a chance to see bunnies and throw rocks into the lake.

---------------------

BTW: The picture is from the 'blue park' and was taken by Aunt Tracy last week. I didn't have any pictures from today, but I think this one does a good job conveying the meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment